THE NATIONAL ARTS CLUB - 15 GRAMERCY PARK SOUTH, NEW YORK, NY
Facade Restoration

 
 
DSCN0174r.jpg

The National Arts Club, located at 15 Gramercy Park South was the former residence of Samuel J. Tilden, a corporate lawyer and philanthropist who was the Governor of the State of New York in 1874. In 1863, Samuel J. Tilden purchased the house at 15 Gramercy Park South and in 1874 purchased the adjacent house at 14 Gramercy Park South. In 1881 Tilden hired Calvert Vaux, former partner of Frederick Law Olmsted and co-planner of Central Park, to remodel and join the two structures as one residence. The National Arts Club, founded in 1898 by Charles DeKay, has occupied 15 Gramercy Park since 1906.

Vaux chose the High Victorian Gothic Style for the design of the facade which is richly decorated with sculpted ornament referencing nature and the four seasons. The primary materials used include Carlisle sandstone, Bellville sandstone, multi-patterned gray granite bands, and columns and pilasters of Passamaquoddy marble. The National Arts Club is a New York City Landmark and a National Historic Landmark.